Saturday, September 02, 2006

Page 4



Connections: Leonardo da Vinci -- Venice & Florence


On my first day in Venice, I passed the Church of San Stae along the Grand Canal and saw the banner advertising this da Vinci exhibit. Inside are about 30 hands-on models —repro-ductions from da Vinci’s codices. I was particularly interested in the Archimedean screw, which did bring up water from the basin, as I planned to go to Syracuse later during the trip to learn more about Archimedes. The models not only work but are executed beautifully in various woods and metals, and the reference page from the codex was displayed by the model. (I wonder if any of my students would like to try to make one of these models for extra credit!) While in Venice, I was able to view his art as well at the Accademia Gallery. The Vitruvian Man is the most famous of his works here, but I found this botanical study to be just as interesting, in its detail.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home