Roman Holiday
We have had a marvelous day exploring the ancient Roman ruins. We ventured into the Coliseum and found it very rewarding--even with what is left of the building it is easy to be impressed with the Roman engineering that went into its construction. The views were wonderful as well.We then went up the Via Sacra and pretty much explored all of the ruins and went into all the museums. I got to add more Michelangelo to my checklist with the Capitol Hill Plaza. Becky napped at the fountain and wrote postcards while I toured the 2 museums there.
We did a LOT of walking, making it up to the Pantheon, over to Piazza Navona, and then all the way to the Trevi Fountain. We stopped into the church (Sopra Minerva) that has the Christ with cross by Michelangelo and outside is the obelisk that is held up by Bernini's long-trunked elephant.
The gelato by the Trevi Fountain was exceptional--Blue Ice was the name of the gelateria. I tried a new flavor--pineapple. Wow! I love this stuff.
We're back at the internet place we found last night. My next task is to find transportation to Naples and to Sicily. I am having to adjust my initial plan of seeing Pompeii and Naples and then catching a night train out because the night train apparently leaves from Rome. Hmm. Back to the drawing board!
We've gotten great pictures but are unable to post on the site because there is no cable connection. We're into the 100's now, and will definitely have to weed out the bad ones.
More rain today, so we now have a 3rd umbrella. However, this one was negotiated down from 5 euro to 3 so it was well worth it! It was a long walk from the Trevi Fountain to our hotel with one little umbrella! The rest of the day was absolutely gorgeous--Becky even got a little sun tan. It is forecast to be 72 degrees tomorrow, can you believe it!
Well, gotta pull up the train schedule. Ciao!


5 Comments:
Hey Math traveller! I wish we could have toured the inside of the Collesium when we were there two years ago...I was a little disappointed that we only got to see the outside. Oh, how I miss the gelato...that place by the Trevi fountain was really good...think I had the hazelnut flavor! Glad you're still having a great time...enjoy the cooler weather while you can...too hot for comfort here!
Happy travels,
Anita :-)
If you run into my Maggio relatives in Sicily, tell them I will be there one day to meet them - maybe next year!
Sounds like you are having a great time. Enjoy it for all of us.
Missy
We loved the Collesium when we were there. We were able to tour all through it. Later, Whitney guided us through the ruins nearby. She had just completed a course on Roman Archeology and was very knowledgeable about the ruins. She also came in handy when we visited Pompeii. Enjoy the rest of the trip and stay away from the Gellato.
Ciao - Bruce
Hello Darlene & Becky:
AE and I are back at home and near a computer again. We had a great time in NM, and now we can enjoy your trip too. Received your beautiful postcard from Florence. Thanks. We're looking forward to your next entry.
Thinking of you,
SS & AE
Sounds like the trip of a lifetime. I would love to be there. We will need a wine and Venice party to see all the great pictures when you get back.
Sounds like you are eating alot of gellato - did you bring your stretch pants? HA HA.
Julie
Post a Comment
<< Home