Last Day --Too Soon!
Well, we have finally found an Internet spot again. Rome is the best place to get Internet! We had a very trying time in the past few days.To start with, we got to Naples only to find the Archeological Museum was closed on Tuesdays. Then we got a flexible train/bus pass to go to Sorrento and Amalfi Coast via Pompeii. Well, it clouded up near Pompeii so we decided to continue on to the coast. Big mistake! It was like being on a roller coaster ride, inside a cloud, with no air conditioning, lots of nervous sweaty passengers with a driver who could barely see the road for the rain and fogged up windows. Now add to that hairpin turns on the side of a mountain.
As soon as we could get off we did, returned by shortcut (not along the coast again!) and headed back to Naples and the Airport. We then took the night train to Sicily. Another interesting experience! There are so many noises, especially as the train was somehow transerred by ferry to the island of Sicily.
Our bed and breakfast in Syracuse was very pleasant. I enjoyed a walk up to the archeological ruins, including a gorgeous view from a 2500 year old Greek theater. I hope my pictures come out for this incredible sight. I felt as if I was finally walking around where Archimedes lived and thought up his great inventions! I even went by his tomb (although it is debatable if this is really where he is buried.)
Our train rides wore us out so we flew back to Rome yesterday. The Hotel Hiberia is one of the more luxurious hotels we've stayed in so we are enjoying our final day here. We took a Dolce Vita walk photographing as many fountains and obelisks as we could, ate gelato, got kissed by a handsome Italian waiter, and started buying our last souvenirs.
We're thinking of not even going to sleep tonight since our cab leaves at 4:30 in the morning for the airport. We will be back in Texas Saturday afternoon.
I miss everyone, so I think I'm ready to get back. I do have to say that Rome is my favorite city now. Sorry, Florence, but Rome has you beat!
Ciao!


2 Comments:
Dear Darlene & Becky,
Glad to see an entry today! We were checking very frequently and guessed that you could not find an internet cafe. We are looking forward to seeing you two travelers and to hear more about your trip!
Best wishes for a pleasant flight back! Sandra & AE 6/09/06
I hope you have a safe trip back. Looking forward to getting together upon your return.
Bruce
Post a Comment
<< Home